Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Creepy Crawly Creeps




Dear Guru,

I'm a 24 yr old female and don't date a lot AT ALL. I think its so contrived and creepy...is that normal? How many dates a week should I have be going on?

Thanks,

Creeped Out Over Creeps



Dear Creeped Out,

There's nothing abnormal with how you feel. Dating can be really daunting at times. The process of going out, meeting someone and then going on dates isn't as simple as they make it look in movies and television shows. It's weird and creepy to sit there with someone that you don't really know with the expectation that you're going to share yourself with them. Even sharing the most insignificant detail can be nerve wracking. If I don't know you, than you don't need to know that I got that scar on my left knee because I ate it while riding my bike when I was nine. That's a personal detail and no matter how unimportant that detail is, it still feels disconcerting to share that detail just because that's just what you "do" when you date. And yes, the whole situation can feel contrived. The whole "I'm out on a date getting to know you getting to know me" can feel like a bad scene out of a tacky rom com. But, with that said, it probably feels creepy because you're not that into that person. Not to sound like an after-school special, but if you really like someone getting to know them and letting them get to know you won't feel weird.

As for how many dates you should have a week, there's no magic number. I say as many as you want. When it comes to dating, I want your theme song to be "Boyz, Boyz, Boyz". But don't feel like you if you're not out being a lady about town that you're a loser. Sometimes it's better to not date than to date a loser for the sole purpose of saying that you went on a date.

Got a dating question? Email the Guru at thedatingguru6@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. that bitch is a CREEEP. WHo doesn't like to go on dates? I mean, its the normal thing to be doing until ONE is married...duh

    ReplyDelete